Ontario has extended its Declaration of Emergency to April 13, 2020 – that is likely to be extended.
Social or physical distancing is not a law to date. Neither is any requirement to stay at home, although the Ontario government, and others, regularly decry this request.
ONTARIO EMERGENCY ORDERS TO DATE (APRIL 6, 2020):
Ontario has made these emergency orders that impact the day-to-day life of residents of the City of Kawartha Lakes:
- Declaration of Emergency – now extended to April 13, 2020, available here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200105;
- public places and establishments must be closed, available here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200051;
- no events or gatherings of more than five people, available here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200052;
- prohibition against charging unconscionable prices for necessary goods (no price gouging, profiteering), available here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200098;
- closure of non-essential businesses, revised April 3, available here: https://files.ontario.ca/solgen-oic-closure-nonessential-business-2020-04-03_0.pdf
- only off-peak electricity pricing, available here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200080;
- new requirements for drinking water systems and sewage works, available here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200075; and
- new requirements for meetings held by businesses/corporations, available here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200075.
Additional emergency orders have also been made, but do not directly impact residents’ day-to-day life.
A list of all of the emergency orders made by Ontario to date is available here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/emergency-information#emergencyorders
PENALTIES FOR NON-COMPLIANCE:
Non-compliance with any emergency order made by Ontario may result in significant penalties:
(a) in the case of an individual, subject to clause (b), to a fine of not more than $100,000 and for a term of imprisonment of not more than one year;
(b) in the case of an individual who is a director or officer of a corporation, to a fine of not more than $500,000 and for a term of imprisonment of not more than one year; and
(c) in the case of a corporation, to a fine of not more than $10,000,000.